Thursday, January 15, 2009

Edward Hopper Early Sunday Morning

Edward Hopper Early Sunday MorningJuan Gris The GuitarJuan Gris Breakfast
hesitate. Whatever these two intended, he and Lyra could still get away through the window he'd opened behind the bush on the path below.
So he helped her up and watched curiously as the two small figures leapt on, what? Birds? No, dragonflies, as large as seagulls, which had been waiting in the darkness. Then they darted forward to the cave mouth, where Mrs. Coulter lay. She was half-stunned with pain and drowsy from the Chevalier's sting, but she reached up as they went past her, little child, my only one! Oh, Lyra, Lyra, don't go, don't leave me! My darling daughter, you're tearing my heart...”and cried:"Lyra! Lyra, my daughter, my dear one! Lyra, don't go! Don't go!"Lyra looked down at her, anguished; but then she stepped over her mother's body and loosened Mrs. Coulter's feeble clutch from her ankle. The woman was sobbing now; Will saw the tears glistening on her cheeks.Crouching just beside the cave mouth, the three children waited until there was a brief pause in the shooting, and then followed the dragonflies as they darted down the path. The light had changed: as well as the cold anbaric gleam from the zeppelins' floodlights, there was the leaping orange of flames.Will looked back once. In the glare Mrs. Coulter's face was a mask of tragic passion, and her daemon clung piteously to her as she knelt and held out her arms, crying:"Lyra! Lyra, my love! My heart's treasure, my

No comments: